HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF MPC LIBRARY
The Marikina Polytechnic College is one of the old schools existing in Marikina City but a newly converted state college by virtue of RA 9289.
The School started in 1947 as a general high school known as Marikina Junior High School, at a rented house in Barrio Sto. Niño. In 1952 the school was transferred and renamed as Leodegario Victorino Memorial High School. In the same year, a library was put up in a room and was under the supervision of a property custodian. In 1953, the library was placed under the supervision of a teacher-librarian. It started to receive books donated by the civic-minded citizens of the community.
By virtue of RA 1586, the school was converted into a National Schools of Arts and Trades. The student population increased hence the library requires additional librarians for a more functional library services. Additional books were purchased and donations were sought for more reference materials.
In 1967, during the term of Supt. Robinson N. Ylagan, the library was transferred from the Technical Education Building to its present site and was placed under a Senior Librarian Ms. Florfina B. Santos and two additional librarians. All library materials were accessioned, classified and organized for efficient delivery of services to the students and teachers.
In 1971, the Media Center was constructed for used as library.
In August 1978, with the offering of the Master’s Degree Program, a Graduate Library was established through the initiative of Supt. Avelino B. Asuncion and the Graduate Library was placed under Ms. Ma. Nera Auza.
In 1998, a College Library located at the ground floor was established through the initiative of Supt. Ambrosio Ebalan Sr. This library was for the Teacher Education Program and was managed by Ms. Gilda F. Dalit.
In 2001, a Multi-Media Center was created at the Learning Resource Center adjacent to the Main Library. The Management Committee (MANCOM) headed by Director Irene M. Isaac of TESDA-NCR organized the Center to cater the needs of the growing population.
The conversion of the College into a Polytechnic College in April 14, 2004 by virtue of RA9289 had brought a lot of changes and developments in the library.
In January 2007, Dr. Henry L. Lañada was appointed as OIC President of the College by virtue of BOT Resolution No.4 s. 2007 which was eventually changed as Acting President on June 18, 2007 through BOT Resolution No. 65 s. 2007. Being the Acting President of the College, Dr. Henry L. Lañada through the approval of the Board of Trustees Board Resolution No. 41 s. 2007 opened the Ladderized Bachelor of Industrial Technology hence, additional books, references and library materials are needed to serve the MPC Community.
In November 2008, Dr. Henry L. Lañada assumed office as the College President after a national search for Presidency for the by virtue of BOT Resolution No. 25 s. 2008.
In September 2009, the Graduate Library and the College Library which were located at the ground floor of the library were heavily devastated by typhoon Ondoy. Calamities were never a hindrance for the library to start anew and as the head of the library, Ms. Gilda F. Dalit spearheaded the re-establishment of the Graduate and College Library. Ms. Dalit and her staff, with the approval of the College President sought books donations from other colleges and universities namely: University of the East, San Beda College, Miriam College, Ateneo de Manila Quezon City, and the University of Asia Pacific. Some private citizen also donated books and references to the College.
In 2010, Online Public Access Catalog (OPAC) software was installed using the Library Information Bibliographic Resource Organization System (LIBROS), Mabini Edition. The librarians started to build the online database upon its installation. The OPAC terminal for the students’ access to the library collection was softly launched in July 20, 2011.
In 2011, of the same year, the former Graduate Library was converted into Periodical Section and was inaugurated in July 20, 2011 likewise, on the following year, the College Library was converted into a Study Hall on June 29, 2012. This conversion started the establishment of the Internet Resource Section with the installation of ten (10) new computer desktop units on November 2012, additional ten (10) computer units were installed in March 20, 2013 and additional 20 computer units were installed on June 10, 2013. These additional computer units were sought in preparation for the soft opening of the Internet Resource Section of the College in July 18, 2013 together with the inauguration of the new Library Archive Section.
In June 2014, the librarian and the whole staff, in their concerted efforts to improve the library services, set up four desktop computers for the E-Resources use and this was launched on October 8, 2014 together with the launching of the Library Website, making the library holdings and facilities at its best.
At present, the College Library is still aiming high to achieve its objectives and goals in line with the College mission, vision and philosophy.